Friday, August 28, 2009

August 27th Update - posted on August 28th

This was written yesterday but I realized today that I didn't post it correctly...

Family and Friends:

Russ thoroughly enjoyed the many visits he received yesterday from family and friends. After a 2 hour power nap in the morning he was good to go. There were so many people here from all different walks of Russ' life...those who he grew up with on the west side, some college buddies, many too who he has worked with over the length of his career...the list goes on and on. Some visitors have known Russ for over forty years...I have only known Russ for about 15 years and love him dearly...what an extra blessing for those of you who have had the privilege of knowing him longer.

Russ said to a few of us yesterday that he had no idea that this many people loved him. In a strange way it's almost feels like a blessing to be aware of when someone is nearing the end of their life...to get the opportunity to actually say how we feel, to share how he has touched our lives, to tell him hundreds and hundreds of times how much we love him, to talk about so many stories from the past that we will treasure for ever...a good reminder for all of us to tell our loved ones how much they matter to us each and every day! Russ has said to me a few times over the past few weeks and as recent as yesterday, "Sarah, you and Dave just love one another"...so simple...so powerful!

Russ is more tired today and starting to listen more to his body asking him to take a break, to rest. He has mentioned several times that he wants the family close by. He said he enjoys listening to us converse with one another even if he is resting. We will be with him every step of the way...

2 comments:

  1. I am weeping while reading all the comments and tributes. They all show how much love there is out there for Russ and the whole family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers everyday.
    I do not know Russ well but I have the pleasure of working with Sharon. I know Russ through all the wonderful things she says about him and all the amazing and funny times they have had together. Sharon and Russ are both incredible people and my heart breaks at the difficult journey that they travel together right now. Stay strong, comfort each other and love each other. All my prayers, love and strength I send to you and your family! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ Campbell has been my best friend for nearly 50 years. Sometimes we didn't see each other for long stretchs during those years, but when we reconnected, it was like we were never apart. When I got married, wife Molly met Russ and immediately realized why Russ and I were so close. We always brought out the best (worst?) in each other. From that point on, Molly, as I had 20 years before, fell in love with Russ and we have treasured our time with Russ (and later Sharon) ever since. Thanks Russ, for allowing me to experience the joy and love of having a best friend. Like you have for so may others who have known you, you gave me a better life. Dave (Frenchie)Chrisman

    ReplyDelete