Friday, August 28, 2009

August 28th Mid Day Update

This is our 3rd day here and it feels like we have been here for weeks. Russ is extremely tired today. He slept soundly all night and into today. It is ever so peaceful to watch him sleep. Chris, Jenny, Michael and I sit in his room while quietly typing on our laptops. I sometimes need to remind myself that life is still happening outside this place - we all have families, jobs and other responsibilities, however I really don't want to be anywhere else but here. It is comforting to be here, to be with family, to be with Russ...

Last night was special for all of us. Mom, Chris, Jenny, Marsia, Daren, Michael, Brian (Chris' best buddy) and I spent time with Russ listening to Willie Nelson on the record player (yes, nephew Micahel brought a real record player to the Hospice House), laughing at one another, rubbing Russ' feet with shea butter and eating yummy brownies. I wish time could stand still and we could live in that moment forever. Russ was in good spirits overall but at times would get frustrated (rightfully so) when the correct words couldn't come to him as he tried to communicate with us.

Special thanks to everyone who continues to pray and send warm wishes to our beloved Russ.

2 comments:

  1. thank you so much sarah for keeping this so current...it's hard to be here when my while family is in ohio, especially at times like these! thanks to you, daren for helping me post pics from the memory i shared earlier this morning!thank you for taking photos while at kobacker...in doing so, you are capturing these special moments in time & you will be able to have them preserved forever...i'm thinking of you all! please give uncle russ a kiss for us! hugs all around...xoxo
    shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've known Russ for my whole life. His Aunt Bernadine lived on the farm just down the road from where I grew up. When he would come down from Columbus, Russ always stopped by our house to see my father to talk about whatever - the neighbors, cars, gardens, and other manly things. Occasionally, I'd hear a dirty joke before getting shooed away so the conversation could take a turn for the worse.

    I remember he always had a ready smile and kind words. A lot of people showed up around hunting season, and Russ was one of a few grownups who took a few minutes to ask the kids questions and really listen. He asked about school, sports or anything that we were interested in. On some trips, he brought Chris along and it was always fun having an extra playmate around when you live in the country. After several close encounters involving Russ and his lawn mower and ATV - any mention of him and I would automatically ask, "He didn't crash it or roll it on himself, did he?" Which would start my dad telling a story about Russ and all his crazy "wild man" antics.

    Since I went to college and moved away years ago, I've only seen Russ a handful of times, when our paths crossed at my parents' house. And it was always comforting to know some things never changed - that Russ still stopped by to see dad and talk about the neighbors, cars, gardens, jokes or whatever. I was heartbroken to hear the news about his illness, and my thoughts and prayers go out to him, his family and friends. The blog is a wonderful idea for those of us who love Russ but live far away. It let's us check up on the wild man - even in North Carolina. So thanks to his family too.
    -- Tasha Steimer

    ReplyDelete