
I have waited to post my entry on the blog because it's difficult for me to put into words my feelings about Russ Campbell.
Russ was our paper boy when we moved to Binns Blvd. He used to come to our house on Thurs. nights to collect and he would sit with our parents and talk and talk. That's when I first met him. Then after he left Hilltonia and I left Westmoor we were both at West High School. We were in the same "crowd" and he dated some of my friends and I dated some of his friends so we were always at the Hilltop Pool, the YMCA dances, football games, etc., at the same time. He and I just became good friends and I hung out at his parents' house sometimes when I was dating Gary Hartzell. I think we "doubled" the night of the prom. Russ was one of the funniest guys I knew, so you can imagine what it was like when you put him and Gary together!
We graduated, he went off to the Viet Nam war and for a few years we lost touch. However, when class reunions would come around I would see him then.
However, I couldn't believe my ears when about 12 or so years ago my sister, Sharon, called me to say that she had run into Russ Campbell at some restaurant/bar on the weekend. Then she later called me again and told me they were dating. GET OUT!!! They fell in love, they got married and one of my dearest friends was back in my life. I'll never forget the first time I visited Sharon's house from whatever state I was living in at the time, and Russ and Sharon started to walk into their bedroom, I said "Sharon, do you realize you are sleeping with our paper boy?" That's always been a joke in our family.
On a more serious note, in 1968 I had left an abusive marriage and moved back home with my parents. I had just found out that I was pregnant with my first child. My labor had started that evening and for whatever reason, Russ stopped by the house that night to see me. There were no jokes said, he was just so caring and he gave me a buckeye to hold during labor, which I did. I was always so touched by that act of kindness. I held the buckeye during labor and I delivered a beautiful, healthy girl, Shelly Marie.
Over the years of their marriage, there are so many hilarious stories that would take forever for my to write about. He loved the family being down at the farm in McConnelsville. Talk about a different way of life!!! It was where he loved to be and he loved it when family was there too.
During the phone call I had with Russ a few days after he was diagnosed, he told me that he was thankful to God for bringing Sharon into his life because with her came a whole family to love and that loved him. He loved my sister dearly and he could make her laugh no matter what.
Over these past few days I've seen a strength in Sharon that I didn't know she possessed. She has walked valiantly through this valley, always loving, always caring and being there for Russ. He would be so proud of her.
So in a nutshell, that's my words about Russ Campbell. I am a better person for having known him.
Lovingly, Kathleen (Kathy) Dennison Morrow
No comments:
Post a Comment