He died with Sharon sleeping in the room and a wonderful nurse at his side. His nephew, Mike, received the call at nearly 4 a.m. and called me in turn. My wife Jenny and I drove down to the Kobacher House guided by the light of a vibrant, haloed and golden moon.
While it goes without saying how hard it is to lose a father, husband, grandfather, uncle and friend we were very lucky in many ways. Having been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer only a month ago, the ride has been one of disbelief, fear, sadness and even joy. But I have never experienced such an intense feeling of love for my father and the closeness I have gained with Shom and the rest of the family in such a horrible time has been more than I could ever imagine.
My dad loved so many people and, while I have long known how strong and truly unique a person he was, it is still mind blowing to have spent the last week or more watching the many friends and well wishers just continue to pour into the room - I'm pretty sure neither the Kobacher House, or perhaps even the seventh floor of the James, has ever seen anything quite like what they saw with Russ Campbell in their care.
He loved you, all of you, so much.
I know I do not speak for just myself when I say the loss of my dad will be felt far, wide and deep. But when things are low, and we miss him to the point of despair - we should remember that he was a man of good times, of humor, wit and love, and that we, like he so often did, should try to find the humor (the more inappropriate the better) in the toughest and darkest of situations.
As a family we need and appreciate your thoughts and prayers, but do not forget to care for yourselves.
Have a drink, take a moment, have good long cry, but by all means, have a laugh for Russ.
I love you, dad. I will miss you so much. You always be with me.
"And to die is different from what anyone supposed, and luckier.
Has any one supposed it lucky to be born?
I hasten to inform him or her it is just as lucky to die, and I know it."
- from "Song of Myself" by Walt Whitman
Details on a celebration of my father's life will follow shortly.
I did not have the pleasure of meeting Uncle Russ, but my prayers have been with him since his diagnoses. Shelly has kept us updated on his progress, and was very sad to hear that he passes on this morning. I may not have ever met him, but he and your family has blessed me in so many ways. This website has touched my heart so deeply by looking at your beautiful family and the love that you all share. It reminds me the importance of family and that when all is said and done, it is the love we share with others that really count. It is obvious that the Lord used Uncle Russ to bless others, even those he never met. God love you all and my prayers are with each and everyone of you.
ReplyDeleteI first met Russ at his house on E. Tulane. It was in 1983. I would marry his sister, Pamela, two years later. I knew virtually nothing about Russ, but early on during our first visit he started asking me questions. Then he asked more questions. I started worrying about how to answer them, because Russ sometimes would want me to elaborate a little more in my responses than perhaps I was doing. A few hours later after a few more beers together,I was worn out. He showed me his love for Pam that day, making sure that I could measure up. During our times spent together through the years, I believe that Russ & I became as close as brother-in-laws could be. Russ loved a lot of us, and his love was strong and special. I especially saw that early on with Christopher and then with Michael, Pam and Polly and then with Sharon. He gave the best hugs (for a guy). I also know that Russ was at the top of the list for making me laugh. I might have made him laugh once or twice, too. And we all know that laugh. He had that rare ability to weave a yarn, often diverting his audiences' attention, but ultimately wrapping it up neatly, as we wiped tears from the humor off our faces. I never imagined not being able to visit him as I had planned for later this year. And as I'm realizing this as I write, I can hardly see the screen through my tears.
ReplyDeleteFred Bamberger
I was lucky enough to have Russ be a part of my world for about 15 years. He was my brother-in-law, drinking buddy, occasional hiking buddy, the guy who was there for me when I was at my lowest, and a just plain good friend!
ReplyDeleteHe also was my son Michael's Uncle Russ and the big bother he never had...the kind that always had a twinkle in his eye, and, you know for sure, was teaching Mike the stuff that was never to be shared with Dad or Mom. But, every guy needs someone like Uncle Russ. And I thank him for that.
Russ and I shared quite a few moments...touching ones, hilarious ones (lots of those), and sad ones. Whatever the moment, he was always real, always genuine, always Russ. A blessing to us.
So, now I bet he is singing some Doo Wop (or his version of Strokin") with the Great Celestial Choir.
Dick dawson