
Russ has known me longer than I’ve known him. He knew me as a little girl because he and my sister Kathy became friends. They were in the same class and he was her best friend. Many years later, fate somehow brought Russ back into our lives when he and Sharon started dating. True soul mates had finally found each other. Russ and Sharon were married on Valentine’s Day, 1998. I’ve never known two people who fit together like “2-peas-in-a-pod” as much as these two do. He’s so much more than a brother-in-law to me. He’s my brother, my friend, my family.
I’ll never forget our first trip to the Campbell Family Farm. You see…us city-folk don’t get out to the country much. We were sitting on the front porch glider and every now and again a truck or car would drive by. Evidently, the proper way to acknowledge farm folk when they drive by is to gently nod and barely raise your hand up to wave. We learned this rather quickly when the first truck drove by and we were waving a bit like Forest Gump did when he was waving to Lt. Dan!! Russ quickly shot us a look and told us “Hey guys, stop that and act like you live here”. We laughed so hard. I was always exhausted after visiting the farm because we laughed so much while we were there.
Russ, do you remember the time we went for a ride on the 4-wheeler…in the dark? It had been raining early that night but it didn’t matter. We crossed the road, and took off riding really, really fast through that big field. It was really muddy and the next thing I knew we were stuck on a mound of wet ground…kind of like a teeter-totter. We were both laughing so hard (I’m certain I peed a little) and thinking how much trouble we were going to be in with “big sister, Shom” if we couldn’t get ourselves out of this one! We pushed & pulled and finally, we broke free. I had the time of my life that night. It was so much fun. Just one of many, many times we had fun together.
We’re not saying good-bye my friend, but instead, “until we meet again”. Because, we WILL meet again. You’re definitely my “brotha from anotha mutha”. We’ll take good care of “baby”. Be at peace my brother…I love you! Kelly Dennison Steece
Dear Dear Russell,
ReplyDelete50 years ago this friendship was formed..
How time passes !
How do you put a lifetime of memories to paper?
Here are a few things that I remember and that
stand out for me:
Your sweet Mom and Dad,Donovan and Polly..
Your sister Pam..
IKE , the dog..
Polly's fruitcake and stock of Brandy..
Waking you up,again,when you were late for you
late for your paper route..
Playing records on the console stereo in your
living room after school..
You singing "Book of Love"..
Building our own Go-carts with the Mann boys..
Basketball on the driveway..
Hooking cars in the winter..
Fights..
The dances,Hilltop YMCA,Gloria and Valleydale..
When you bought the "Baby Moon" hubcaps for
your Dad's white Chevy and Don making you take
them off.(Not a good look for an IRS Man!)
You returning from the service and the stories
you told..
Your wedding in St.Albans..
Your trips West and visiting my sister Susie..
The Charity Newsies work we did..
You and Sharon reuniting and finding happiness
together..
New Years eve dinner and dance..
The list could go on and on...
I consider myself lucky to have had your
friendship for these many years..
GOD BLESS YOU...
I LOVE YA !!
TOMMY
Russ-
ReplyDeleteAs I have read the entries about your life, sweet memories have flooded through my mind giving me warm thoughts and great chuckles.
Your playful, loving, and caring attributes have provided a lifetime of tenderness, joy and love for you and all those around you.
My thoughts are with you and your family. I am so grateful for you. Thanks for the smiles. Pamela Foote Rosen
Russ and Sharon, I keep thinking that yours must be one the great love stories. I'm so glad you two found each other, but it's just not been long enough. You both are generous souls and the posts here make that abundantly clear. You and your family are dearly loved by so many. I have such fond memories of Don, Polly, Russ, and of course Pam. Life was always full of laughter. Laughter could help get us through anything, or so it seemed. Sharon, my thoughts are with you. You all seem to have found strength in one another, and I hope you find peace in the days ahead. Becky
ReplyDeleteDear Russ -
ReplyDeleteYou have joined the great choir in the sky and how lucky they are to have you! You have brought so much love, joy and happiness here on this earth I know you will continue in the hereafter. Many have said that your and Sharon is a Love Affair to Remember....it was so warming to see two people who repect and love each other so much have so much fun together.
To your family and friends - may their peace come from all the wonderful memories they have of the times shared. Peace be with you.
Sandy Thompson